The show “You Got to Eat Here” was on TV earlier. If I am honest every time I watch this show I end up talking back to the TV saying no thanks I really don’t need to eat that greasy dish of cholesterol !! This time they had a pulled pork dish and in fairness it looked tasty enough, that is if you didn’t think about the poor piggy and his sad life. So I hear a butternut squash is a yummy replacement. Made this dish today with no specific recipe and it was just delicious!! You can use all the marinade that is used for pulled pork, create the great fragrant smell in your house whilst cooking it. The dish was sweet,spicy and garlicky. Coriander, shredded cabbage and lime are making it fresh and crunchy. I am going on about it too much? okay okay…. briefly said take my word cook this dish and eat it too!!
( As I mentioned I had no recipe for this, be creative! Here is how I made mine).
- One medium Butternut squash
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Inch of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- Chilli sauce ( some sort of Mexican smoked chilli paste will be perfect)
- Steamed rice cooked with 2 star anise
- Shredded red cabbage
- Finely chopped spring onions
- Fresh coriander
- Fresh lime
- 1 large white onion
- Optional: oven roasted white potato cubes
- Salt or Soy sauce
- Place a whole butternut squash in the oven, 170C for around 30 to 40 minutes until it is soft enough to easily insert a fork through it.
- Steam rice, follow the instruction on the rice packaging but add 2 start anise at the same time as you add water.
- Chop and fry the onion on low heat until transparent and sweet. Grate the garlic cloves and ginger in the same pan.
- Cut the soft butternut squash in half. Shave it with a fork and add the shavings into the pan of onions. Add the Chinese 5 spice and salt/ soy sauce. Leave on low heat for flavours to infuse.
- Plate as you desire! Add the fresh coriander, cabbage and spring onions on top. I also added some egg-free mayonnaise, dripped some chilli sauce and drizzled the dish with lime. Yummm! :0)
Thanks for looking and come back soon! X