For my indulgent weekend moment I wanted something easy to prep. I made this fuss-free coconut creme caramel. Another simple recipe from elBulli. I, personally, love egg-y deserts; Creme brûlée, Creme caramel, Pavlova, Torta de laranja are my favourites. This Coconut Flan is just like creme caramel but instead of regular milk it uses coconut milk. A little bit of desiccated coconut has been used to give it a bit of a texture. Overall I think it’s a rather delightful twist and tastes fresher than a normal creme caramel. A good way to make a dairy-free desert.
( Makes 5 servings )
For the caramel:
- 2 teaspoon water
- 30g sugar
For the coconut flan:
- 2 eggs ( eggs with very intense orange yolks make the flan prettier)
- 250g coconut milk
- 15g grated coconut
- 25g sugar ( I prefer adding 35-40g! )
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas mark 4
- Put the water and sugar into a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and boil to make a dark caramel.
- Divide the hot caramel between individual or large moulds and set aside to cool.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl, then whisk until frothy.
- Out the coconut milk, grated coconut and sugar into another large bowl, and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Save any leftover coconut milk for serving later. Add the eggs and whisk until even.
- pour the mixture into caramel-filled moulds. Cover the top of the moulds with foil, then transfer to a roasting tin.
- Pour enough cold water into the roasting tin to come half-way up the sides of the moulds , bake for 35 mins, making sure the water does not boil . ( The good thing is that you can’t over cook them as such)
- Once the creme caramel is cooked ( it will be firm with the touch) leave to cool in the water. Remove from the water and chill in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, loosen the flan with a round bladed knife. Carefully turn the creme caramel out of the moulds.
- You can add a few spoons of your left over coconut milk for serving.
Thanks for looking and come back soon!