Last weekend I found a fantastic recipe in an old Jamie Oliver magazine. It brings the spring right to the middle of your dinner table. It’s light and moreish. Very easy to make, a few chopping and then its in your trusty oven.
( Serves 6 )
- Olive oil
- 270g filo pastry. ( I used one layer of ready-roll puff pastry instead)
- 200g baby spinach
- 6 streaky bacon rashers ( Can be left out if you are a vegetarian)
- 6 eggs
- 200m l milk
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 bunch of chives
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 medium leeks, sliced finely
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease a 20cm X 30cm baking dish with olive oil. ( I used a baking tray and dusted it with flour to make it nonstick, and used no oil at this step).
- Cover your dish with a layer of pastry, letting the edges over hand slightly. Brush with a little oil and repeat until you have used 3 to 4 layers . ( If you use puff pastry: Using a blunt table knife , without cutting the pastry make a border all the way around your pastry (5mm in from the edge).Dip a fork in flour to stop it from sticking to the pastry and prick the central/ inside the border area of pastry all over (going all the way through the pastry).
- Boil the kettle, then place the spinach in a colander and pour over the hot water to wilt it. ( You may have to do this in 2 batches). Push the spinach down with the back of a spoon to drain then, let cool enough to handle, squeeze out any excess water with your hands. Transfer the spinach to board and roughly chop, then place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Grill bacon until crisp. Set aside to cool. Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in milk and mustard powder and snip in the chives, then grate the lemon zest. Crumble the cooled bacon into the bowl of spinach then add the slices leeks.
- Mix well to combine, then scatter the vegetable mixture over the pastry case. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the vegetables and carefully place the dish into the bottom of the oven.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the pie is just set. Leave the pie to cool in the baking dish for 20minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Thanks for looking and come back soon!